Sunday 16 June 2013

happy fathers day



This year I am so much taken with the idea of fathers day, The radio talk shows, which are mostly hosted by men, seem to be hyping the day.... and why not?

My dad died when I was seven years old and my mum never remarried. Most of my neighbours were in single family situations. So it was not until I became a father that I realised the significance of fathers day. Even in the church Mary has large billing. There is a feast of the holy name of Jesus, and one of Mary. There is a feast of the sacred heart of Jesus, and one of Mary. I don't think there is one Cathollic church that is dedicated to God the Father.

Saint Joseph has two feast days: St Joseph the Worker (mayday) and St Joseph the Just (lent).... but what about St Joseph the Father.... nothing!

This is the first year that my family made a big deal of fathers day.. I got breakfast in bed, a beautiful home made card and a gift of a T shirt. Now it's off to Mass.

In my family,  when we do our morning prayers, we ask the intercession of St Joseph as patron saint of fathers. and so we do today on Fathers day with a prayer that is noted to be from around AD50:


Oh St. Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires.

Oh St. Joseph, do assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your divine son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, our Lord; so that having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers.

Oh St. Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms. I dare not approach while he reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss his fine head for me, and ask him to return the kiss when I draw my dying breath. 
St. Joseph, patron of departing souls, pray for us. Amen


.

No comments:

Post a Comment