Sunday 19 February 2012

Catholic News Editorial Critique - February 19, 2012

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.
- Lutheran Pastor Martin Niemöller


You know, I have a love hate relation with the Archdiocese of Port of Spain Catholic newspaper. I think that this should be the place I go to read all about the issues that have occurred in the Catholic world. Or a place to go to find out what our politicians are thinking about issues that affect Catholics. A rallying banner for Catholics to get up and protest... make our voices heard.

In some ways the newspaper is, but in many ways it is not.

Today I read the editorial from June Johnson the Editor of the Catholic News. Now usually this editorial is carried on the Sunday Newsday Newspaper as well. And perhaps that is why she tackled the issue that she did in the Editorial column - Sharing allegiances???

The issue is that a group of officers searched the house and confiscated the computer (at his work office) of a Newsday reporter. The Police Commissioner said that he knew nothing of it. The Minister who the police group is accountable to said he knew nothing of it. No one was held accountable. Still, Ms Johnson took issue with something the Police Commissioner said. And she has a right to do so.

I felt that Ms Johnson wrote with a passion that needs to be expressed more...

We as Catholics need to be the protectors and the watchdog for high Moral living in the country. We can't leave this up to Pentecostal Pastor Cuffie alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment