Saturday 9 October 2010

It's only a tiny Rosebud


A newly ordained priest was walking with an older, wiser Priest in a garden one day. Feeling a bit insecure about what God had in store for him, the younger asked the older for some advice.

The older priest walked up to a rosebush and handed the younger a rosebud and told him to open it without tearing off any petals. "What does this have to do with anything" he thought to himself, still out of respect for the older man he tried but soon he realised he could not achieve what was asked of him.

Noticing the younger priests inability to unfold the rosebud without tearing it, the older preacher began to recite the following poem...


"It is only a tiny rosebud,
A flower of God's design;
But I cannot unfold the petals
With these clumsy hands of mine."

"The secret of unfolding flowers
Is not known to such as I.
God opens this flower so easily,
But in my hands they die."

"If I cannot unfold a rosebud,
This flower of God's design,
Then how can I have the wisdom
To unfold this life of mine?"

"So I'll trust in God for leading
Each moment of my day.
I will look to God for guidance
In each step of the way."

"The path that lies before me,
Only my Good Lord knows.
I'll trust God to unfold the moments,
As He unfolds this rose."

2 comments:

  1. Take down the the rose my mother wrote oit And I do not mean to sound mean it just every body is trying to clame it.Her name was Vernie McQueen White so if you or going to post it please put her name were it belonges.I am trying to start a Vernie White Foundation it's not up and runing I have a lot of things I need to do first.And I well be so happy when it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the Child of Vernie McQueen White -
    Thank you for navigating my blog. I hope that you have found something of note on it (besides your mothers poem). I was wonder though how to get in contact with you. I love this page and would like your and your siblings, or whoever holds the rights to your mothers estate to give me permission to leave the story .. and poem up. Of course I would give credit to the writer. The only problem is that I have searched and searched and cannot find any reference to the writer of the poem and/ or your mothers name. Could you guide me in the right direction.
    Many Thanks - Yours in Christ

    ReplyDelete