Sunday 9 May 2010

When a large (medium) family shares the sign of peace... they share the sign of peace


I always like the part of the Mass when we show each other love. When we share the “Sign of Peace”. I sometimes feel bad for the people around because I must hug and kiss my wife and four children, then I must shake their hands, then they must hug and kiss me. It takes a while.

But I don’t just love it for my family. I love that many people use that opportunity to reach out to others. Not just a handshake, but sometime two hands grasping yours - a smiling face and a “Peace be with you.” It is the joy and love of Christ in each of us reaching out.

I read somewhere that to love someone you must have a relationship with them. To have a relationship you must know the person. I think that is true when we see the hungry man on the street. We want to love him, but he’s so dirty. What if we reached out to him and started talking. Getting to know him. Then we can be filled with greater compassion, and love. Perhaps we can offer some peace to him even as Jesus offers us His peace in today’s gospel.

Give God’s Peace today!


Gospel Reading...

"Jesus said to his disciples: 'Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.

I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.

You heard me say to you, 'I am going away, and I am coming to you.' If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, because the Father is greater than I. And now I have told you this before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe.'" [Jn. 14:23-9]

No comments:

Post a Comment